about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: felt journal cover (with pocket!)

Felt Journal Cover


I really can't get enough of composition books. I use them for all of my sketches and planning because they are easy and inexpensive. Sometimes I find them with really cute covers, but most of the time I just get the plain jane variety. Now, however, I can fancy them up and keep my pencils handy!

With some wool felt and a spot of embroidery, I've got a covered journal! (Well, actually, my sister does...she already stole this one, and my mom asked me to make 3 more for the kids for school!)

The Cheeky Chalkboard on the cover is a piece that I stitched a while ago and have had sitting here waiting for a good project. You can find the design in my Homework Helpers pattern set either on Etsy or at Kitschy Digitals.

You will need:
Wool blend felt, cut to 10.25 x 24 inches
Embroidery floss
Small piece of finished embroidery
Composition book

Scissors
Iron
Pins
Needle

Felt Journal Cover

Fold the felt in half, then fold in the ends so each is a 4.25" flap. Iron the creases.

Felt Journal Cover

Cut the finished embroidery down to the size you want the pocket to be. This can really be any size you want, as long as it fits on the cover. Make sure your edges are straight! Fold down the top edge (it will get more wear with things going in and out of the pocket) and press with the iron.

Felt Journal Cover

Stitch along the folded edge of the pocket using a running stitch. I chose to leave the knots on the front, just for visual interest.

Felt Journal Cover

Pin the pocket piece in place, then stitch along the sides and bottom using a running stitch.

Felt Journal Cover

With the flaps folded on the felt cover (it may help to pin them), stitch along the edge with a seam allowance of .25", and stop within about 1 inch of the corner. Repeat this for the top and bottom of the front and back.

Felt Journal Cover
Felt Journal Cover

Slide the composition book into the cover. You'll need to fold the cover of the book back a bit to get it in there.

Felt Journal Cover
Felt Journal Cover

You could leave it like this, but I thought it looked a little nicer with round corners. So, just trim those off so they have a curve similar to the book inside.

Felt Journal Cover
Felt Journal Cover

Slide a pen or pencil in the pocket, and you're ready to go! Or, if you're like me, get ready to make a bunch of these for the people in your family...before you actually get one of your own...

This went together pretty quickly, especially considering that I hand-stitched it all (and that the embroidery was done before I started!). But of course, you could whip these up even faster on a sewing machine! Which may be what I need to do for the rest of these...

Felt Journal Cover
Felt Journal Cover

For a more labor-intensive (but extremely wonderful) journal cover, be sure to check out the fabric scrap tutorial at Stitched in Color!

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:35 PM

    So cute, thanks i'll definitely make this, amazing idea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all your lovely cfatiness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so cute!! ;) definitely must make. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just too cute! Love the chalk board!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this and the printable apple paper from the day before. I can't wait to make a little "New School Year" kit for my mom. She is a preschool teacher and I want her to have all the "cool" school supplies. Thanks Mollie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And just wait until tomorrow! More printable fun!

      Delete
  6. I'm having my daughter's do personal journals or school this year and his would be a cute craft project for them to do before we start our school year. Thank's.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. adorable!

    Val
    http://valentinaduracinsky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your journal cover just put a huge smile on my face. Thank you for that and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too cute. I love that adorable smiling chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very cute - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! We just got some Composition books from the back to school sale. I can't wait to get some made up. What an awesome journal covers! I am so excited about this! I have some cream colored felt that I want to use. Wouldn't it be cool to embroider the name of the recipient on them? Can't wait to give this a try! Thank you so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:21 AM

    wow i want you to send it overseas to me pls!! jk dont worry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:12 AM

    i love it !

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!